Labels

Monday, April 2, 2012

Missing in Action

I have learnt a very important lesson today about how to encourage a participant, who hasn't logged onto the course, which has already been going on for a while.

1. The subject line should explain clearly what the recipient is going to read in the body of the email.
2. The tone or the style should be friendly and supportive not to be interpreted as hostile or rude.
3. The moderator should assume that the participant has not received the email with the log-on details and provide them again: URL, username, password and the course schedule.

Overall, the email that I have composed has not met the criteria. I only included a subject line and tried to make it sound as friendly as possible.

I think the email should have been something like this:

Subject: The X course has begun

Dear X,

I am AC the e-moderator of the course that you are registered for.

I have noticed that you have not logged onto the course and thought that you might not have received my previous email.

As the course participants have already started to get to know each other, I thought you might not want to miss it and am sending you the details again.

You can log onto the course at www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com
Your username is: tomblack (lower case)
Your password is: yxyxyx23 (no space and you will be prompted to change your password when you just sign in)
The course schedule is attached.

If you are having trouble logging onto the course, please let me know and I will happily guide you through the process.

The course participants and I are looking forward to 'meeting' you online.

Kind regards,
Anna Conway

No comments:

Post a Comment